My glucose meter.
Yes, I have gestational diabetes. Hooray. My perfect pregnancy went not so perfect around 27 weeks when I failed my 1 hour glucose tolerance test. It really was a horrible experience. I had Jeremy go with me to the test since he had the day off. I was a little dehydrated before I went in, but I figured it was no big deal. I drank the glucose beverage with no problems(it isn't as bad as everyone says) and waited the hour to get my blood drawn. The lady who attempted to draw my blood was very nice, but couldn't get anything more than a spit of blood from my veins. After 2 attempts, I told her that I have passed out before when getting my blood drawn and would prefer to lay down for the third try. I think that freaked her out a little. A coworker came to her rescue and asked me if she could try. I said fine. She pulled out a syringe and proceeded to suck the blood out of my arm as it would not flow. That is the last time I ever go to the lab even slightly thirsty. Anyways, I was ready to go, but Jeremy was not feeling so hot. We took the side exit out of the building so Jeremy could get some air quick! Apparently he was watching the first lady dig around in my arm to try and find a vein, and felt himself turn green. I brought him along in case I passed out, and he almost puked! So when I got the results that I had failed the 1 hour test, I knew I had to have someone else go with me to the 3 hour test.
So I had my Mom take me to the 3 hour test. The thing that sucks about the 3 hour test is you have to fast for 8 but no more than 10 hours before the test. So that meant that I had to stay up until 11:30 the night before, eat a low carb meal, go to sleep, and then be at the lab around 7:30 am. That meant about 6 hours of sleep for me, then getting my blood drawn with no food in my stomach, which was a fun combo. Luckily I had a really good phlebotomist for the first draw. I made sure I was really hydrated when I went in, and he was able to draw blood with no problems. Then I had to drink double the amount of the sugary beverage, and have my blood drawn once an hour for the next 3 hours. The time went by fairly quickly with my Mom there, and the draws went fine. No passing out! So the day was going good until I got my results. My fasting level was fine, but the 1 hour and 2 hour draws were elevated. By the 3rd hour, my level had dropped, but that didn't matter. 2 elevated levels are considered gestational diabetes! This was Friday afternoon, so right away Monday morning Kaiser calls to discuss my results and sign me up for the diabetes class.
I took the class, received my meter, adjusted my diet and had to start testing my blood 4 times a day, 7 days a week. In the class I took, they had me sign up for a time to check in with a perinatal nurse weekly, and set up a Dr. appt with the promise that if I was able to keep my blood sugar within the right range, I could go down to testing 3 days a week. When I saw the Dr., she was very happy with my levels and said I could go to testing 3 days a week. Hooray! Testing exactly an hour after my first bite of food is annoying, especially at work! Now I only have to test 2 days a week at work (the 3rd day is one of my days off) and don't have to be as strict with my diet. The perinatal nurse has been very helpful and my levels are usually lower that the "acceptable range". So she has allowed me to add milk back into my diet in the mornings! Milk is usually a no no at breakfast with gestational diabetes. As is juice, rice, and any hard candy. These foods that a normal diabetic person could work into their carb count are absolutely not allowed when pregnant because of the baby. The number one reason to control gestational diabetes is to have a normal size baby. No 10 pounder for me please! My weight gain is still on track. At 34 1/2 weeks I have gained 30lbs. My mid wife wants me to gain 35-40, so I am getting there. Only 9 more working days until I am off on disability! My swollen feet are going to thank me!
Overall, the diabetes thing isn't so bad. If I had to use insulin to control it, that would be a different story, but adjusting my diet and testing my blood isn't that bad. The worst thing is when I have to prick myself multiple times because I can't get enough blood to test on the first try. I have to say though, as soon as I have this baby, I want an oreo milkshake, a starbucks white mocha, and a chipotle burrito!








4 comments:
Lame! I never knew what happened if a pregnant woman failed that test. I definitely didn't know it involved pricking yourself to test your blood several times a week. It sounds like you have everything under control though. i want to see a recent prego picture!!!
That stinks. So sorry you have to do that. The things we do for our kids. Are you delivering at Kaiser? If I can, I'll bring you an Oreo milkshake!
I'm sorry to hear about the GD! I went through that with my middle pregnancy and it is NO FUN! Definitely have someone bring you that Oreo shake for after the baby!!! You deserve it! :)
Thanks for the support ladies. I will be delivering at Kaiser Roseville. I promise I will post a recent picture soon. I post them on facebook all the time, but forget to post them here.
Post a Comment